Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Things We'll Miss in NYC, Part 2

Reader writes:

"So maudlin!"

#15. Nha Trang (on Baxter, only)

The dudes took me here when I first moved to NYC, for an Asian education. Up to this point, was purely a brown sauce Chinese. Still ordering the same stuff they ordered me that afternoon. Maybe not the best Vietnamese in NYC, but do your waiters wear pants that say "jeans attack"?


#14. The Room

My first serious bar crush. Worked here for a year, pouring beers on Sundays. Brutal. Never forget the incident with the Richard Simmons lookalike in the bathroom, gay pride day. Or the robbery upstairs, which I accidentally assisted with, or the kid who puked on me and then locked himself in the keg fridge, or the Silver Jews Record Release party, that I missed.




#13. Record Stores In aggregate, NYC record stores do alright. Some of my standby haunts are recently / long gone; Rocks in Your Head, Kim's, Vinyl Mania, Tower and Virgin. And we don't have anything like an Amoeba. But if you pool OM, Soundfix, Generation, Academy, and Etherea - still beats most. Permanent is my spot now, at the bottom of the street.


#12. Radegast Beer Hall

Kid friendly liters. Not sure there's much I love more than a beerhall.


#11. Joe's Pizza

There's fancier pizza, better pizza and ridiculous varieties of pizza here in the big hurt, but a slice at Joe's is worth a weekender. Been eating here since I was in high school.


No comments: